Sabtu, Mei 17, 2008

Can Money Buy You Happiness


Money cannot buy you happiness, whether you are an asian or westerner. If you really desire to attain personal fulfillment in life, then you should not pursue materialistic goals. Instead, you should go after those creative and meaningful goals which genuine human needs, like wanting to feel connected with others, becoming self-aware, contributing to the community and helping the poor and needy. Otherwise, you may end up like the businessman in the following poem :1

I asked no quarter and I gave none,
I fought it out until eighty-one.
Intelligence guided my efforts,
Cynicism dictated my business reports.

I played one off against another,
Keeping my head well above water.
I transmuted my blood to steel,
Early conquering the relm of feeling.

I thaught ruthlessness by example,
And hard work and steadfastness.
Now that the hated grave approaches,
I wish for the love I could not give.

1 O’Malley & Thompson, 1977


ni puisi dalem banget ampe harus bolak balik kamus buat ngartiin, klo u gak tahu juga mending sono ambil kamus juga buat ngartiin

0 Comment:

Tamu